From "Siggelkow, Bill" <bill.siggel...@mirant.com>
Subject RE: * in XPath predicate
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:12:10 GMT
Maybe try the count() function as in -- this should give you all employees that have at least
one role child element.

<x:forEach select="$doc//employee[count(role)]" >

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Ross [mailto:rross@stupendousman.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:10 PM
To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Fw: * in XPath predicate

Good morning all,

I am trying to generate my xpath statement based on parameters, and I find that it works perfectly
with the exception that the * in the predicate fails when dynamically populated, although
it works fine when hardcoded.

So this will work:
<x:forEach select="$doc//employee[role=*]" >

But this will not:

<c:set var="roleName" value="*" />
<x:forEach select="$doc//employee[role=$roleName]" >

I'm guessing that the * gets tick marks ( ' ) when it is processed.    Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick