From "Siggelkow, Bill" <bill.siggel...@mirant.com>
Subject RE: remoteUser
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:15:50 GMT
Right Lukas -- as Felipe pointed out a number of the objects that JSTL can reference are actually
specified by other APIs.  If I were coming from the perspective of a page author, not a Java
developer, I could see where this would be difficult.  Actually, I have been working on a
JSTL Quick Reference and I think this would be a good addition.  Basically, the key to it
is as follows:

1) Know what the JSTL/EL implicit objects are -- these are actually specified in Appendix
A.6 of the JSTL spec or from the JSP 2.0 spec -- and to what API they refer e.g.

pageContext -- javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext
etc.

2) Then you can use the API to find out what objects are available -- using the standard property
accessor methods e.g.

For example from the PageContext API we see that it has a getRequest() method which returns
a javax.servlet.ServletRequest object -- (in all likelihood, the actual object is a javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest)
-- then the HttpServletRequest has a getRemoteUser() method.

Using the APIs and knowing how JSTL accesses properties that follow the JavaBeans get/set
convention, you can get to just about anything you could need.  That being said, I would try
and stick with the basic scoped variable containers (requestScope, sessionScope, etc.) and
if I really need to drill down I would do this in JavaCode (e.g. in Struts Action classes).

Happy Coding!