From "Chen, Gin" <Gin.C...@NielsenMedia.com>
Subject RE: writing a custom tag that can use EL
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:25:41 GMT
Not only that but Shawn Bayern's book "JSTL in Action" has a great chapter
on extending the already existing JSTL tags that include using EL.
Pick up the book, it'll be worth it.

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric W Hauser [mailto:ehauser@indiana.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 10:55 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: writing a custom tag that can use EL

I'm not sure why implementing ExpressionEvaluatorManager is that
difficult.  It is fairly simple to add this to existing tag libraries.
Not to mention that this is the way that all of the standard taglibs
evaluate their EL expressions.  If you are looking for a good way to
implement this, look at the source code for the standard taglibs.  That is
the beauty of open source.  Grep through the source code and find some
exmamples to get you on your feet.

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Felipe Leme wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 September 2003 11:00 am, Adam Hardy wrote:
>
> >  From the LoopTag I could obtain the LoopTagStatus object via the
> > getLoopStatus() method.
>
> Yes, that would solve your problem too. It would even be a more elegant
> solution for the problem.
>
> > It seems that implementing EL will be a breeze if you can use JSP 2.0,
>
> Yes, JSP 2.0 will make it much easier.
>
> > but I have no idea whether that is released yet, or even which version
> > I'm on at the moment. How does one tell?
>
> Its final specification is almost done and you can follow its status on
this
> page:
>
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=152
>
> > I'm unsure what is going to happen. At the moment, J2EE 1.4 is in beta.
>
> From my experience, it will take a while until J2EE 1.4 is widely used.
Even
> when the final version is launched, it will take some time for the
companies
> to use it (take as example J2EE 1.4, which is still not used as much as it

> should). Of course, if you are an early adopter, that won't be a problem
:-)

> > I can see that it includes javax.servlet.jsp.el package, but it doesn't
> > have javax.servlet.jsp.jstl. Do you know. or anyone for that matter,
> > what the situation is? Does J2EE 1.4 include JSP2.0? Is JSTL part of
> > JSP2.0?
>
> J2EE 1.4 will include JSP 2.0. I think it will include JSTL 1.1 too, but
I'm