From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject writing a custom tag that can use EL
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:39:01 GMT
Hello All,

I am writing a tag to sit inside a ForEachTag and output <tr> html
elements with alternating background color, i.e. a tableRowTag.

I have one already that I am basing it on, that works inside the struts'
LogicIterateTag. What I need to do is change the functionality so that
my TableRowTag will pick up the iteration index number from the parent.
I am planning on doing it like this:

<c:forEach var="item" items="${items}" varStatus="status">
   <my:rowTag evenStyle="rowEven" oddStyle="rowOdd"
rowNumber="${status.count}">
         stuff........
   </my:row>
</c:forEach>

I don't know where to start programming my tag's setRowNumber() so that
it will interpret the EL specified. I assume there must be some classes
in some jar somewhere, something I need to implement or extend?

Thanks,
Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2