From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: writing a custom tag that can use EL
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:00:59 GMT
Hi Felipe,

that is a highly useful article that you link to there. I was able to
achieve exactly what I wanted.

Actually I dropped the idea of using EL completely and by-passed the
need for an extra attribute by calling to the parent ForEachTag direct
to obtain its base class LoopTag  via findAncestorWithClass().

 From the LoopTag I could obtain the LoopTagStatus object via the
getLoopStatus() method.

 From the status object, I called its getCount() and hey presto, it was
sorted.

It seems that implementing EL will be a breeze if you can use JSP 2.0,
but I have no idea whether that is released yet, or even which version
I'm on at the moment. How does one tell?

I'm unsure what is going to happen. At the moment, J2EE 1.4 is in beta.
I can see that it includes javax.servlet.jsp.el package, but it doesn't
have javax.servlet.jsp.jstl. Do you know. or anyone for that matter,
what the situation is? Does J2EE 1.4 include JSP2.0? Is JSTL part of JSP2.0?

Thanks v. much,

Adam