From Pierre Delisle <Pierre.Deli...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Issue with formatDate tags
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:49:03 GMT
[Please note this has also been added as a comment to bug 22892.]

The behavior of the formatting tags is in accordance with the
JSTL spec.

With respect to the following exception:
"java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response is already committed!"

the spec clearly states in section 8.4 that:

"This assumes that the response is buffered with a big enough buffer size, since
ServletResponse.setLocale() and ServletResponse.setContentType()
must be called before ServletResponse.getWriter() in order for the specified
locale or charset to affect the construction of the writer.(1)
(1). It also assumes that the JSP container doesn't call getWriter() until it's
about to flush the buffer. An errata has been published for the JSP 1.2
specification
to clarify this."

As you mentioned, you have to make sure that you have a big enough
buffer, as well as verify that your container vendor complies with
this errata of the JSP spec.

Finally, the language regarding this whole issue as been clarified
in JSTL 1.1 as follows:

The way formatting actions influence the encoding of the response has been
clarified in sections 8.4 and 8.10. Repeated calls to
ServletResponse.setLocale() will affect the character encoding of the
response only if it has not already been set explicitely.

Please check the JSTL 1.1 spec for more details
(http://java/sun/com/jstl)

Hope this helps,

    -- Pierre