From Eric.Le...@swissinfo.ch
Subject RE: How to get the size of a java.util.List object in EL?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:52:35 GMT
Hi guys

I think this has been discussed in this list about 3.7 million times, so
check out the archives...
The short answer is: You can't.

Best regards,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 17. September 2003 13:39
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: How to get the size of a java.util.List object in EL?

Hi Billy,

I don't know about this one. Maybe someone more guru-like will step up
with an answer 8-)

I'm not quite sure why EL doesn't like this but I think it's because the
List class is not a javabean - presumably EL looks for getSize() rather
than the actual size(), but that doesn't explain why it's complaining
about an integer.

Adam

On 09/17/2003 02:19 AM Billy Bacon wrote:
> I need to get the size (as an int) of a java.util.List I have. The
following
> doesn't work....
>
> <c:out value="Size = ${browseForm.map.colInfoList.size}"/>
>
> It gives me the following exception...
>
> ServletException in:/jsp/browseQueueBody.jsp] An error occurred while
> evaluating custom action attribute "value" with value "Size =
> ${browseForm.map.colInfoList.size}": The "." operator was supplied with an
> index value of type "java.lang.String" to be applied to a List or array,
but
> that value cannot be converted to an integer. (null)'
>
> Does anyone know how I could get the size of the List?
>
> - Billy -

struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9