From "Felipe Leme" <t5jtjj...@sneakemail.com>
Subject Re: writing a custom tag that can use EL
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:53:12 GMT
On Wednesday 03 September 2003 11:54 am, Eric W Hauser wrote:

> I'm not sure why implementing ExpressionEvaluatorManager is that
> difficult.  It is fairly simple to add this to existing tag libraries.

It's difficult, because:

- you *have* to add the code that evaluates the expression. With JSP 2.0 you
won't need to, it's done automatically
- the settters of your tag ahndler have to take an String as parameter, even
if the expression will be evaluated in another type (for instance, the value
attribute on <fmt:formatDate> is a java.util.Date)
- your code will depend on Jakarta Taglib, not only JSTL/JSP classes

> the beauty of open source.  Grep through the source code and find some
> exmamples to get you on your feet.

I know how to use the class, but that doesn't mean it's an easy process for
those not familiar with it.

Felipe