From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject ApplicationResources.properties apparently cached
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:38:17 GMT
I have set up my i18n properties files for use with the <fmt:message>
taglib (jstl 1.0) via the javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.localizationContext
and I tested it out with DE and EN to make sure my different locales on
the browser would generate the correct language text.

All worked, and so I deleted the German file, since it was only a test
and I'm not ready to do all the proper translation into German yet.

I deleted the _en.properties and _de.properties files, and have only a
default ApplicationResources.properties so I really can't see where the
old German strings are coming from.

However the German strings keep appearing in my web pages in German
browsers.

This has been troubling me for a month now and I'm really determined to
fix it. I'm sure it's not being cached by the browser or by a proxy.
Chopping and changing the locale in the browser proves that.

What also puzzles me is the work-around I did: I recreated the German
_de.properties file, and so now I have something sensible (the old
strings are pretty stupid random bits of text). But when I deleted this
new German file to test if the bug had gone, the old German strings
reappeared.

What is my next logical step? I'm completely stuck here.

Thanks
Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2