From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: taglib standard 1.0 in Tomcat
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:20:50 GMT
George Hester wrote:
> Thanks Han my apologies.  Yes it was JavaServer Pages published by
> O'Reilly.  Any suggestions how I can undisable EL in "JSP 1.2/Servlet
> 2.3 web.xml" and if I did that would it work then?  If not that's
> fine I'll have to look for something similar that will work with what
> I have.  The reason I have not gone to Tomcat 5 is I thought it was a
> beta product and the Tomcat I have is working fine.  It took me two
> months to get it that way and I really don't want to bang my head for
> another two months getting Tomcat 5 to work.  It has to work with IIS
> 5 or it is sort of worthless to me.

Okay, if you have to use Tomcat 4.x (a JSP 1.2 container), you shouldn't
use the examples from the third edition of my book because it coveres
JSP 2.0.

My second edition covers JSP 1.2, so you can download the examples for
that edition instead.

As I mentioned in another reply, in a JSP 1.2 container, you must use
JSTL 1.0, i.e.,
- use a servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 web.xml file
- use a JSTL 1.0 implementation, e.g., Standard 1.0,
- use JSTL 1.0 URIs in the taglib directives, e.g.,
   <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>

The example application for the second edition of my statisfies the
above.

JSP 1.2 doesn't support EL expressions in template text, so you have
to use JSTL's <c:out> action instead, e.g.,

   This page has been visited <b><c:out value="${sessionCounter}" />
   </b> times ...

Again, the examples for the second edition uses JSP 1.2 and JSTL 1.0.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten                                <hans@gefionsoftware.com>
Gefion Software                       <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/>