From Steve Lewis <smle...@lordjoe.com>
Subject jsp:directive.tag directive can only be used in a tag file
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:24:21 GMT
Help -
My jsp files all use the same set of about a half dozen tag declarations
Rather than place them at the top of every page I start every page with the
declaration
<jsp:directive.include file="/include/b17StartJSP.inc" />
b17StartTile.inc
does some housekeeping and at some point includes /include/b17StartTile.inc
which does more housekeepiong and includes
declareTags.inc which looks like this:
<jsp:directive.taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" prefix="c"  />
... more tags
and some jsp taglibs
<jsp:directive.taglib tagdir="/WEB-INF/tags/formpatterns" prefix="fm"  />

under resin there is no problem with this and under tomcat 5 I get

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /HelloStruts.jsp(1,1)
/include/b17StartJSP.inc(2,3) /include/b17StartTile.inc(1,4)
/include/declareTags.jsp(3,18) <jsp:directive.tag directive can only be
used in a tag file

1) I never use the tag directive outside of custim tag files but I do use
jsp:directive.taglib
2) I would expect that included files would inherit the extension of the
including page (ultimately jsp)
3) I tried changing  include/declareTags.inc to include/declareTags.jsp (as
shown above) without success
4) I am reluctant to use <@ tag and <%@ taglib notation because I am trying
to ban scriptlets from ant page and use the curresponding XML notation

ANy ideas and suggestions -
Because other containers support what I am doing I believe I am doing the
right thing

Steven M. Lewis PhD
4221 105th Ave NE
Kirkland, WA 98033