From "Karl Coleman" <kcole...@commercebenefitsgroup.com>
Subject When are tags executed?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:41:21 GMT
Can someone explain when tags are executed? Namely, custom tags and the <sql> tag.

The problem is we currently have a web app that has a jsp's JavaScript communicating with
an applet that can query a database. It allows us to do real-time validation against database
values. We know it is bad design. It's an older system and already have vowed not to use it
in future projects. However, testing with XP service pack 2 is freezing the applet. So we
are trying to come up with some alternatives without having to redesign and rewrite portions
of existing apps. Someone came up with the idea of using the <sql> tag, but I thought
that ran on the server before the response was sent to the browser, thus it wouldn't work
for real-time validation. Would a custom tag work? Or are those run on the server as well?

Thanks,
Karl