From Patrick Heck <PH...@camsys.com>
Subject Re: License conundrum
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 17:40:47 GMT
Based on my experience on several lists, Most significantly ant-dev
between 2002 and 2004, there is another reason not listed in that faq...
The person who has the answer had a high workload on the day you posted,
and ignored it when they might otherwise have answered. This changes with
time so re-posts spaced several days apart have, in my experience helped.
Also there is a tendancy for some to pick it up on the second round when
it becomes evident that noone else dealt with it the first time. Certainly
spamming repeatedly (especially mutliple times a day) is not productive.

Licensing issues are sometimes considered bugs (bug 31434, bug 27410, bug
26382), but generally rather than poluting the bug database, pinging the
dev list first is sometimes a good idea. I was hoping for direction as to
the preferences for handling this type of thing in this project.

- Gus

Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote on 05/05/2005 01:09:12 PM:

> Patrick -- From the tomcat FAQ:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/tomcatuser.html#why
>
> Based on your email, I don't think the second bullet is the problem
> :-) Usually some of the devs are also subscribed to the sister users
> list and cross-posting or bug reporting due to lack of a response on
> the users list is inadvisable, but in this particular case, I'd say
> its a subjective call.
>
> -Rahul
>
> On 5/5/05, Patrick Heck <PHeck@camsys.com> wrote:
> > I sent this question several days ago, about licensing... would this
be
> > better addressed to a dev list? I know that many Sun Jars are
distributed
> > with a license that allows redistribution with a product, but I want
to be
> > sure. Should I enter the lack of license documentation as a bug?
> >
> > -Gus
> >
> > Patrick G. Heck
> > Cambridge Systematics, Inc.
> > 100 CambridgePark Drive, Suite 400
> > Cambridge, MA 02140
> > tel  617 354 0167
> > fax  617 354 1542
> > e-mail  pheck@camsys.com
> > www.camsys.com
> >
> > Patrick Heck/camsys wrote on 04/26/2005 01:42:27 AM:
> >
> > > I am somewhat confused by the jstl.jar distributed with 1.0.5 (I
> > > have identified it as being at least the same # of bytes as the one
> > > that I am trying to identify and document in our project, and since
> > > we also have a jakarta-taglibs 1.0.5 jar I suspect we got this jstl.
> > > jar from you :) ).
> > >
> > > It has a manifest.mf file as follows:
> > >
> > > Manifest-Version: 1.0
> > > Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.5.3
> > > Created-By: 1.4.2-b28 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
> > > Specification-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library (JSTL)
> > > Specification-Version: 1.0
> > > Implementation-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library API
Refere