From Don Albertson <Don.Albert...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: help!! why UNION of multiple tables is not working
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:05:22 GMT
Dave Butler wrote:
> Don Albertson wrote:
>
>> missterie@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Yes..I have. I mean for example, when you do a simple query like this
>>> Select 1,2,3 UNION Select 4,5,6, it should display all rows for all
>>> select statements but it only displays 3,6.
>>>  I thought a UNION could be used for multiple tables with unrelated
>>> data, as long as am selecting the same fields or number of fields?
>>

>> What happens if you replace the sql tags with scriptlet code that
>> creates a Connection, a Statement, executes the query text and returns
>> the ResultSet?  Does that returned ResultSet contain what you expect?

Might be.  My understanding of the difference is that if there is a row in the
first SELECT's results which matches a row from the second SELECT's results then
  UNION shows only one of the rows while UNION ALL shows both of them.  Though
if the question is about SQL and not about the <sql:...> tag it should probably
be labeled [OT].

--
In the elder days of art
Builders wrought with greatest care