From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: TagSupport vs BodyTagSupport
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:16:50 GMT
Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no> wrote on 07/23/2005 02:28:14 PM:

> ooops, I felt this was a general taglib question, more than a Struts
> question. It only takes struts as an example,
> but the question is "is there a reason why it makes sense to always
> subclass BodyTagSupport in a tag-library?"
<snip/>

Outside of frameworks, I am usually guarded about any statement that
matches "always do *", especially those related to patterns and
subclassing.

I often extend SimpleTagSupport (JSP 2.0), and have on occassions,
preferred it over BodyTagSupport, due to its simpler life cycle.

For a far more detailed commentary, please read the jsp.tagext Javadocs
here [
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/package-summary.html
]

-Rahul