From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Optimizing tag-lib performance
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:09:57 GMT
Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no> wrote on 07/23/2005 11:18:57 AM:
<snip/>
> the problem is that when I reload the page,  the number of milliseconds
> is zero and occasionally 8,9 or 10
> (I see output in the tomcat console running on my laptop, so I am sure
> that the browser is not caching).
>
> Questions:
>
> - is there something I am getting basically wrong?
<snap/>

JSP performance is container specific. This may or may not be important
for your testing purposes. Given that the tag impls are in Java, you could
test there.

> - is my tag-lib optimized enough that I don't need to care about further

> optimization? possibly because the compiler/JVM already did the
> optimization for me?
<snip/>

There are two compilers in tow, the JSP compiler and the Java compiler,
followed by the target JVM. Depending on what combinations get picked
(users often do not have a choice for various unrelated reasons), the
compiler based optimization mileage may vary. Since you've thought about
the obvious bits, I would concentrate on getting more visibility to the
sources, rather than hacking away at optimizations alone.

> - are there better ways/tools to measure tag-lib performance?
<snap/>

For the Java bits, I'm sure you can find a bunch. For tag files, I don't
have a good container agnostic answer myself.

-Rahul