From Oded Arbel <o...@m-wise.com>
Subject [OT] Servlet and JSP re-entrancy ?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:23:35 GMT

Hi.

I have an off-topic question regarding the servlet API specs or rather,
its implementation in Tomcat:
Suppose I have a servlet which serves requests on some path. When a
request comes it, a servlet object is instantiated and called to handle
the request. What happens now if another request for the same servlet
path is being received before the servlet has returned from do*() ?
is (a) a new object is instantiated, (b) the same object is called in
another thread or (c) the request is being held till the first (or a
limited number of) object(s) is done ?

And what about JSP files - is it the same ?

The reason I'm asking this, is that we have a case where a JSP
application is being called by multiple users, and it looks like some
class members there get clobberred by concurrent calls. The application
apparently was written on the concept that servlet/jsp api is not
re-entrant, but I don't know if this is how it is and from a quick
google I couldn't find out.

TIA

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9611212 (204)
+972-54-7340014

::..
Reasons to Run Away 5-"When the DM unloads 4 figure boxes of skeletons
and says that he doesn't have enough figures. Then says each figure is
10 skeletons."