From Luca Passani <pass...@eunet.no>
Subject Re: JSTL and test for file existence
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:10:12 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:

>I don't believe so, and I'd be rather surprised if there was. Remember that
>there is no guarantee that there even *is* a file system in a webapp
>environment, so providing access to such a thing in a standard way doesn't
>really make sense.
>
>Of course, you can always create your own function to do this.

I understand and I don't want to argue. Also, I can easily work this
around with a scriptlet.
Let me throw in a couple of points just for sake of discussions, though.
If you think I am totally off the mark, just let me know...

My understanding is that there are a few tag-libraries that break MVC
out there. The SQL tags are a great example of this (embedding SQL in
JSP? are we back to MS ActiveServerPages?!?! :)
Now, wouldn't creating tags that allow a certain amount of basic file
manipulations fall in the same cathegory as the SQL tags? I mean, after
all, there even is no guarantee that there's an SQL  DB the webapp can
talk to.
Those tag-libs would still be good to have in the toolset for quick and
dirty tasks (prototyping for examples), even though they are far from
ideal in many cases...

Just my 2 cents of euro.

Luca