From Kris Schneider <k...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: question about standard taglib sql
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:58:36 GMT
Jerry wrote:
> Steven F. Bell <sbell <at> frycomm.com> writes:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am using the standard taglib sql tag to query a database and large
>>text fields are coming back like:
>>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ClobImpl <at> 94aa42
>>
>>What could be causing this, and is there any means to correct it, and
>>get the proper text back?

JSTL will use ResultSet.getObject to retrieve your results. In some cases,
this will result in a Clob. If you're using JSP 2.0, you might consider
creating an EL function to process the Clob into a string. Or you could
take a bean-based approach that will also work with earlier version of JSP.
Obviously, a scriptlet will also get the job done. The simplest way to
convert a Clob into a String is:

long length = theClob.length();
String s = theClob.getSubString(0, (int)length);

Of course, that might not work depending on the length of the Clob, so
there are other ways to stream the Clob data:

Reader in = theClob.getCharacterStream();

>>Also, the results in the tag are alphabetical a-z, can this order be
>>changed around to match the field order in the database?

You might want to look at using Result.getRowsByIndex instead of
Result.getRows to iterate through your results:

<c:forEach var="row" items="${results.rowsByIndex}">
   <c:forEach var="col" items="${row}">

Result.getRowsByIndex returns an Object[][] instance where the first
dimension is a row index and the second dimension is a column index.

I hope that's right, it's been a while since I've been able to play with
JSP/JSTL stuff...

--
Kris Schneider <mailto:kris@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>