From Kris Schneider <k...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: <c:set> and runtime expressions
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:25:42 GMT
If you need to run JSTL 1.0 and want to use JSP expressions as attribute
values, you need to use the "RT-based" versions. For JSTL, there are
basically two distinct versions of each taglib:

<%@ taglib prefix="c"    uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c_rt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core_rt" %>

If you look at the TLD files for JSTL 1.0, you'll see:

c.tld:
------
   <tag>
     <name>set</name>
     <attribute>
         <name>value</name>
         <required>false</required>
         <rtexprvalue>false</rtexprvalue>
     </attribute>
   </tag>

c-rt.tld:
---------
  <tag>
     <name>set</name>
     <attribute>
         <name>value</name>
         <required>false</required>
         <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
     </attribute>
   </tag>

JSTL 1.0 has to handle EL evaluation on its own (it's integrated into JSP
2.0 so JSTL 1.1 doesn't need to do the evaluation), so you're forced to
make a choice between different taglibs that use EL expressions or JSP
expressions.

--
Kris Schneider <mailto:kris@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>