From "Tarek Nabil" <Tarek.Na...@tco.ae>
Subject RE: <c:set> and runtime expressions
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 04:39:07 GMT
So that means if I use the RT-based version, then I won't be able to use
EL? That's quite strange, because 1.1 could handle both, so it has to be
doable.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Schneider [mailto:kris@dotech.com]
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 6:26 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: <c:set> and runtime expressions

If you need to run JSTL 1.0 and want to use JSP expressions as attribute

values, you need to use the "RT-based" versions. For JSTL, there are
basically two distinct versions of each taglib:

<%@ taglib prefix="c"    uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c_rt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core_rt" %>

If you look at the TLD files for JSTL 1.0, you'll see:

c.tld:
------
   <tag>
     <name>set</name>
     <attribute>
         <name>value</name>
         <required>false</required>
         <rtexprvalue>false</rtexprvalue>
     </attribute>
   </tag>

c-rt.tld:
---------
  <tag>
     <name>set</name>
     <attribute>
         <name>value</name>
         <required>false</required>
         <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
     </attribute>
   </tag>

JSTL 1.0 has to handle EL evaluation on its own (it's integrated into
JSP
2.0 so JSTL 1.1 doesn't need to do the evaluation), so you're forced to
make a choice between different taglibs that use EL expressions or JSP
expressions.

--
Kris Schneider <mailto:kris@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyright

information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this
email
or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us of the receipt
thereof.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete
this
email from your system.

Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.The sender shall not be liable for the
improper
or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication,nor for any
delay in
its receipt or damage to your system.The sender does not guarantee that this material is free
from
viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimise the risk.