From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Content is not allowed in prolog. - text editor for Windows XP that shows special characters before the prolog
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:30:01 GMT
I checked for "spaces" in jEdit and in the hex reader: http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html

  Both of these editors did not show any spaces or any kind of special characters before the
prolog <?xml

  I also checked for another possibility which is, if the xml file was missing we get this
same error, but the xml file was there in the deployed directory under webapps

  There might be something wrong on what I have in my web.xml , compared to what's in the
JSP

      <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/fmt.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
      <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/core</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/c.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
      <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/sql</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/sql.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
      <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/x</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/x.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>

  JSP:

  <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="x" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml" %>

  I am using the latest tlds and jar files.

  -Regards
  Rashmi

Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@swapsimple.com> wrote:
  On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:04:32AM -0700, Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have already searched on the Internet and this mailing list for an answer to this error
message:

> [Fatal Error] jstl::1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
>
> Most of the answers so far seemed to indicate that theres a special BOM character that
is "invisible" to most editors, that gets added to UTF-8 files

> I am struggling with this problem, I tried to change the encoding to UTF-8, UTF-16 and
ISO but none of them seemed to solve the problem

> Does anyone know of a "real text editor" for Windows XP, which will allow me to see if
there are any special characters before the prolog?

> heres my xml:

^^ Are these spaces actually there in your xml, or is that just how
you pasted it into your email? Some XML parsers are very picky about
having _anything_, even whitespace, before the '