From "Kessel, Joachim (J.)" <JKes...@mazdaeur.com>
Subject RE: Content is not allowed in prolog. - text editor for Windows XP that shows special characters before the prolog
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:08:00 GMT
Hello Rahsmi,

you can try to use a free hex editor:

http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html

with this editor you will see the BOM in front of the <?xml> tag,
if it's there.

Kind regards,

Joachim Kessel

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Freitag, 21. Juli 2006 12:05
To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Content is not allowed in prolog. - text editor for Windows XP
that shows special characters before the prolog

Hello,

  I have already searched on the Internet and this mailing list for an answer to this error
message:

  [Fatal Error] jstl::1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.

  Most of the answers so far seemed to indicate that theres a special BOM character that is
"invisible" to most editors, that gets added to UTF-8 files

  I am struggling with this problem, I tried to change the encoding to UTF-8, UTF-16 and ISO
but none of them seemed to solve the problem

  Does anyone know of a "real text editor" for Windows XP, which will allow me to see if there
are any special characters before the prolog?

  heres my xml:
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
<test><value1>valuex</value1></test>

  heres my jsp:
  <%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="x" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml" %>
  <head>
    <c:import url="test5.xml" var="xml" charEncoding="US-ASCII"/>
     <x:parse doc="${xml}" varDom="doc" />

  -Thank you