From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to count number of XML nodes in a node-set with JSTL XML tags?
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 02:18:53 GMT
Thanks for pointing me to the spec, I was looking for a comprehensive documentation on JSTL's
XPath capabilities and didn't know it exists, it looks quite useful and well written.

  I'll use JSTL 1.1 XML tags for now since as you mentioned it's officially released and it
has XPath capabilities.

  -Thanks again for all the help
  Rashmi

Kris Schneider <kris@dotech.com> wrote:
  Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> Thanks again for your reply.
>
> If I'm reading your reply correctly, you are saying that we can evaluate XPath expessions
with JSTL 1.1 XML Tags

That's correct. Although there may be some bugs ;-). For details on what
sort of XML/XPath/XSLT operations are available, do some more reading on
JSTL. The JSTL 1.1 spec (supported by JSP 2.0) can be found here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr052/index2.html

You'll be looking for a doc called jstl-1_1-mr2-spec.pdf. It's actually a
pretty easy read, as specs go, and full of good info.

> I got XTags from here: http://people.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/nightly/projects/xtags/
,

That would be a nightly build. I'm pretty sure that's all that's available.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't think XTags has
ever been through the official release process.

> I had to set up my environment with dom4j and jaxen beta jar files in order to use XTags
>
> I'm not sure if XTags has a user mailing list, I wasn't able to find it. I had some further
questions on XTags.

All of the Jakarta taglibs (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/) use this list.

> Kris Schneider wrote:
> Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
>
>>Thank you for the solution
>>
>>I never thought of that. I think I could use what you have suggested in cases where
I transform the xml with jstl and just need the count of certain node sets.

>>I tried XTags, and it has a rich set of XPath capabilities, I was able to do something
more complex like this inside the JSP

>>I wonder if one (JSTL XML Tags) is better than the other(XTags) performance wise,
but may be they are just different tools with their own purpose.

> I'm not sure that XTags was ever officially released. I assume you're using
> one of the nightly builds. The Standard taglib is an implementation of JSTL
> which has been officially released for both JSTL 1.0 and JSTL 1.1.
>
> Your original code actually appears to work with Standard 1.0.6 (JSTL 1.0).
> To support XPath, Standard 1.0 uses Jaxen/SAXPath while Standard 1.1 uses
> Xalan. It's likely there's a bug in how Standard 1.1 is using Xalan to do
> its XPath evaluation. I believe XTags uses dom4j.
>

>>Kris Schneider wrote:
>>Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
>>

>>>I searched for a solution for this but couldn't find an answer.
>>>
>>>I'm trying to count the number of book nodes from the xml below:
>>>

>>>Book Title 1
>>>Book Title 2
>>>Book Title 3
>>>Book Title 4
>>>Book Title 5
>>>

>>>I tried using XPath's count function, inside the JSP page, but it gives 0 instead
of
>>>5 - (the number of book nodes)
>>>

>>>Is it possible to obtain the count of a node set inside a JSP or do I have to
first transform the source XML into another XML which obtains the count and then read the
count from the second XML file?

--
Kris Schneider
D.O.Tech