From thomas rimmele-nguyen <thomas.rimm...@gmail.com>
Subject huge memory amount bound by sleeping standard tags
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:30:39 GMT
Hy,

I was searching a memory leak in our application. A profiler told me
that  there are standard tags (probably sleeping in a pool) that are
holding the references to our objects.  Especially the items-variable in
the forEach-tag seems to be very greedy in our application.

When I modified the standard-tag code (call a Tag.release() within every
TryCatchFinally.doFinally()), our objects were garbage-collected as
desired.

The javadoc of javax.servlet.jsp..Tag tells, that the call of release()
is NOT guaranteed for every usage of a Tag. So everything seems to be
ok, no bug.

But does anybody have good advice how I could reduce the amount of bound
memory?

Greetings,

Thomas