From Kris Schneider <k...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to count number of XML nodes in a node-set with JSTL XML tags?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:55:19 GMT
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> Thanks again for your reply.
>
>   If I'm reading your reply correctly, you are saying that we can evaluate XPath expessions
with JSTL 1.1 XML Tags

That's correct. Although there may be some bugs ;-). For details on what
sort of XML/XPath/XSLT operations are available, do some more reading on
JSTL. The JSTL 1.1 spec (supported by JSP 2.0) can be found here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr052/index2.html

You'll be looking for a doc called jstl-1_1-mr2-spec.pdf. It's actually a
pretty easy read, as specs go, and full of good info.

>   I got XTags from here: http://people.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/nightly/projects/xtags/
,

That would be a nightly build. I'm pretty sure that's all that's available.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't think XTags has
ever been through the official release process.

>   I had to set up my environment with dom4j and jaxen beta jar files in order to use
XTags

>   I'm not sure if XTags has a user mailing list, I wasn't able to find it. I had some
further questions on XTags.

All of the Jakarta taglibs (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/) use this list.

> Kris Schneider <kris@dotech.com> wrote:
>   Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
>
>>Thank you for the solution
>>
>>I never thought of that. I think I could use what you have suggested in cases where
I transform the xml with jstl and just need the count of certain node sets.

>>I tried XTags, and it has a rich set of XPath capabilities, I was able to do something
more complex like this inside the JSP

>>I wonder if one (JSTL XML Tags) is better than the other(XTags) performance wise,
but may be they are just different tools with their own purpose.

> I'm not sure that XTags was ever officially released. I assume you're using
> one of the nightly builds. The Standard taglib is an implementation of JSTL
> which has been officially released for both JSTL 1.0 and JSTL 1.1.
>
> Your original code actually appears to work with Standard 1.0.6 (JSTL 1.0).
> To support XPath, Standard 1.0 uses Jaxen/SAXPath while Standard 1.1 uses
> Xalan. It's likely there's a bug in how Standard 1.1 is using Xalan to do
> its XPath evaluation. I believe XTags uses dom4j.
>

>>Kris Schneider wrote:
>>Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
>>

>>>I searched for a solution for this but couldn't find an answer.
>>>
>>>I'm trying to count the number of book nodes from the xml below:
>>>

>>>Book Title 1
>>>Book Title 2
>>>Book Title 3
>>>Book Title 4
>>>Book Title 5
>>>

>>>I tried using XPath's count function, inside the JSP page, but it gives 0 instead
of
>>>5 - (the number of book nodes)
>>>

>>>Is it possible to obtain the count of a node set inside a JSP or do I have to
first transform the source XML into another XML which obtains the count and then read the
count from the second XML file?

--
Kris Schneider <mailto:kris@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>