From Hassan Schroeder <has...@webtuitive.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Support for &amp; as a parameter separator in <c:url>]
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:05:32 GMT
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:

> By this I mean, irregardless of whether it's HTML4.0
> which requires the un-escaped version of the ampersand

uh, well --

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#didx-character_entity_references>

Authors should use "&amp;" (ASCII decimal 38) instead of "&" to avoid
confusion with the beginning of a character reference (entity reference
open delimiter). Authors should also use "&amp;" in attribute values
since character references are allowed within CDATA attribute values.

Just because most browsers render basically *anything* thrown their
way regardless of validity doesn't make using '&' by itself right,
even with an HTML4 doctype.

> Also c:redirect requires an unescaped version of the
> ampersand.

You can use <c:param> and not assemble the query string yourself,
which is probably better practice anyway.

FWIW!
                opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com

                          dream.  code.