From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updated log taglib?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:29:43 GMT
On 2/20/07, Gaurav Arora <gaurav-lists@codercorp.com> wrote:
> I feel really stupid after reading your reply. The two import statements in LoggerTag.java
should
> have given me a clue as to its implementation. No wonder it didn't work, I wasn't using
it right!

> Now that I think about it, this implementation might be the way to go about it. But then
again, how
> often does one switch loggers. If it needs to be changed, i'd be happy to do it.

It's less about the switching and more about making it so the Log
taglib would work with the new JDK logging and not having two
versions.

> And i'm going to take you up on your offer Hen, I could use some mentoring with the taglibs.
:)

Heh - I meant more with the Apache/open-source bits - releasing,
making sure commits are good etc.

> My first question, in the case of the c:out tag in the standard taglib, if a variable
is passed to be
> printed in the format "${x}", does it need to be handled by the library explicitly or
is it
> automatically converted to its value before being sent for processing?

Memory is very fuzzy. I seem to recall that in the latest spec
implementations it's all magic, but that there was a midway point
where in one spec implementation (the jstl 1.0.x one) you had to do a
chunk of pain to get the ${x} to work correctly. I remember trying to
add that to the String taglib, though not sure if I did or not in the
end.

Nowadays I imagine we'd just focus on JSTL 1.1.x/1.2.x support
(whatever the jsp spec is for that).

Hen