From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: Updated log taglib?
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:03:24 GMT
Hi Gaurav,

Gaurav Arora wrote:
> The project I am working on may need to use the taglib. I will definitely try my best
to patch it and send the patch on the list. I was thinking of patching the benchmark taglib
as well to use a variable instead of printing the time.

That would be cool..

> I haven't contributed to the ASF projects(mainly because I come from the scripting world)
before so I was wondering if there is a process that needs to be followed. Should patches
and such be discussed with other developers on the dev mailing list first?

We discuss this on the dev list indeed, but since not a lot of taglibs are currently being
developed
on, I don't know if you get any valuable feedback for those libs. The one thing I can say
though is
that we value backward compatibility very much, which means in a binary way and that everything
runs
out of of the box it did before. (for the logging taglib I can imagine that is slightly harder
accomplish, even though Logger extends from Category). So if you change the Category to Logger,
make
sure you leave the category methods as is (just deprecate them) and add a method accepting
Loggers
(haven't looked at the code, so just mentioning ideas).
One thing to do is at least attach your patches to a bugzilla issue, so we won't forget about
and
start nagging us to apply them :)

Looking forward to your patches ! :)

Mvgr,