From Kris Schneider <k...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: Read image from database
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:34:01 GMT
Don Albertson wrote:
> Zilberstein Yuval wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Can anyone tell me how do I read an image from a Blob field in the
>> database?
>> TX
>> YuvalZ

> I haven't put any of this into tags but....
>
> My experience is limited to our Oracle system. I created two classes:
>
> One wraps the Oracle implementation code and avoids the need to
> import oracle.sql.BLOB;
> import oracle.jdbc.OracleResultSet;
> in places that are isolated from driver implementation details
>
> Another converts the BLOB's to and from Image and byte[]  so I can
> display them.
>
> For the web side, I adapted a servlet to display the image using this
> fragment:
>
>                    byte[] imageData = image.getImageBytes();
>                    if ( imageData != null && imageData.length > 0){
>                        response.setContentType("image/jpeg");
>                        ServletOutputStream sos =
> response.getOutputStream();
>                        sos.write(imageData);
>                    }
>
> I only save a thumbnail in the database as a BLOB so the thumbnail is
> the only image being returned in the response stream.

If you're just serving the images out the database then there's certainly
no need to create an "intermediate" Image (like my first reply) - just grab
the byte[] and serve it with the proper content type. If the images are
unlikely to change, I'd recommend also setting response headers so that the
client knows it's OK to cache the images and can avoid making additional
requests for them.

--
Kris Schneider <mailto:kris@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>