From Stuart Thiel <stuart.th...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to create a custom JSTL function using a tag file
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:04:41 GMT
Hello Marcel,

If I understand you correctly, then it is not exactly possible to do
what you'd like.

More specifically, I believe you're talking about making an EL function
(vs. JSTL which is a set of third party tags/functions). You can use any
public static method in any class for this, so it doesn't need to be
special in any way, but you do need to define it in a tag library so
that a JSP page knows how to find it. You can isolate a bunch of your
utility EL functions in their own tag library with their own prefix to
avoid polluting your main tag libraries, but I would generally organize
by cohesion instead (putting related tags and functions together in the
same tag libraries, following the same approach one might do with OO
class creation).

I haven't read all of this, but skimming it seemed to satisfy me that
the basics are covered:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/tutorial/doc/JSPIntro7.html

Stuart