tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Alternatives to specifying persistence provider in component jars?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 04:38:26 GMT
Hi Alex,

We actually do have to do quite a bit of linking and other work to
support JPA, so you definitely came to the right list.  I'm ripping
that code up right now in fact.

While you do have to have a persistence.xml file for your application,
*some* of the values in a persistence.xml can be supplied via system
properties and left out of your persistence.xml.

Namely the following:
   javax.persistence.provider
   javax.persistence.transactionType
   javax.persistence.jtaDataSource
   javax.persistence.nonJtaDataSource

Note that the javax.persistence.provider will default to OpenJPA (i.e.
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl).  While that's
nice, it doesn't allow you to pass the vendor specific properties,
namely the truly amazing "openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings" that will
basically allow you to squeak by not having to create or drop tables.

We don't yet have the ability to fully define persistence units at the
openejb.xml level, but that definitely is a feature I've thought of
adding.

Along the lines of hooking your application up to persistence units
defined in a persistence.xml, I added some great code for the upcoming
beta 2 that performs some pretty bullet proof validation of your app.
Some sample validation messages you might see in beta 2 are:

Mistaken use of @PersistenceUnit on an EntityManager reference.  Use
@PersistenceContext for ref "org.superbiz.injection.jpa.MoviesImpl/
entityManager"

Mistaken use of @Resource on an EntityManager reference.  Use
@PersistenceContext for ref "org.superbiz.injection.jpa.MoviesImpl/
entityManager"

Persistence unit not found for
@PersistenceContext(name="entityManager", unitName="movie-unnit").
Available units [movie-unit]

We also have a new example for showing dependency injection of JPA
EntityManagers.  It's fun to run it and attempt to break the app by
adding, changing, or removing persistence units or references to them.
If you find a way that we don't check for, I'll by you a book on
amazon.  And as usual, all validation come in all-at-once "compiler"
format, so it should be possible to spot all your mistakes in one go
avoiding countless "small fix, compile, redeploy, fail, repeat" cycles.

The new example:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples/injection-of-entitymanager/

-David