tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: How to embed a server into openejb standard alone server
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 04:33:03 GMT

On Jun 10, 2008, at 8:50 PM, xianzheng wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm new to J2EE and OpenEJB.
> Just wondering, is there a way to embed an application server which is
> written in JAVA in openejb? I guess, I'll have to write a container
> to wrap
> it around? If so, is there a guide to write such thing? As my
> understanding,
> JCA can only allows ejbs to connect to other servers rather than
> listening
> connections?
>
> I have a very old server application i wrote, which complies a non-
> standard
> communication protocol. So i'm thinking whether i could embed it into
> openejb to listening to "old" request and benefit openejb's other cool
> features.

Hi Joe,

Depending on what you want to do exactly there are likely many ways to
do it.

It is possible to plug in new protocols into a standard OpenEJB
install and support custom clients.  It's very easy to drop something
in that listens on a socket and does "stuff".  OpenEJB will find it on
startup and hook it up as it does the other protocols.  The "stuff" is
where all the detail lies.  Reflectively invoking proxies on the
server side by looking them up from the local global JNDI
(LocalInitialContextFactory) is easy, whereas sending invocations
directly into the EJB Containers like the EJBd protocol does is
harder.  Can show you how to do that if it sounds like a route you
might want to take.  (you basically implement a specific interface
then include a special properties file in your jar and drop it into
openejb, pretty easy)

If you have your own "component container" it is possible to add new
custom containers to a standard OpenEJB install.  This is a bit more
involved but not completely impossible.  The advantage here is that
any container can be invoked by any of the protocols plugged into
OpenEJB.

Sounds like you want more the first option where you can add a new
protocol.  There are definitely options.  Couple rounds of "mutual
data exchange" (aka discussion) and I'm sure we can find a good game
plan :)

-David