tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: DataSource configuration for production
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:46:42 GMT

On Jun 11, 2008, at 4:44 AM, jfjames wrote:

> We're back ... It seems we’ve identified the cause of the problem.
> It is
> located in DBCP 1.3. In fact, the isClosed method of the
> DelegatingConnection class doesn’t really close the underlying JDBC
> connection  :
> * when called from the destroyObject method of the
> PoolableConnectionFactory, the _closed  variable is set to false,
> * therefore the test if ( _closed || _conn.isClosed() ) doesn’t
> allow to
> propagate the close along the delegating chain (up to the JDBC
> connection).
>
> According to us, it should be replaced by if ( _closed &&
> _conn.isClosed()
> ). We’ve done some tests with this patch and it works fine :
> maxActive is
> never exceeded and the number of connections to the database server is
> stable.
>
> Now, we have to check the impact on the DBCP jUnit tests before going
> further ...

Great work!  Going to be a fantastic contribution.

Once you're confident on the impact to the dbcp unit tests, craft up a
patch file and open up a JIRA for the issue at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP
I can help you with instructions on creating patches if you need it
(just an "svn diff > myPatch.txt" for the most part).  Then I can go
tap those guys on the shoulder and let em know we're waiting on it and
it's critical for us.

If we can get them to commit it we won't need to wait for a DBCP
release and can just roll up a custom build that we can use in 3.0.1.

-David