tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: loadbalancing & failover of stateless beans
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:03:00 GMT

On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Youcef HILEM wrote:

> Hi David,
> I confirm that my request relates only to stateless beans and not to
> stateful beans.
>
> Most of our business services are available for both Web and Swing
> applications. The management of state is supported by these
> applications. We do not use statefull beans.

Sounds like a fantastic application for Tomcat + OpenEJB and Collapsed
EARs.

> For loadbalancing, I think it is enough for us to add a class
> similar to
> org.apache.openejb.client.StickToLastServerConnectionFactoryStrategy
> (like RandomServerConnectionFactoryStrategy or
> StickToNextServerConnectionFactoryStrategy) and change the method
> getConnectionFactoryStrategy() of class
> org.apache.openejb.client.ServerMetaData.
>
> I take this opportunity to ask whether it is possible to extend the
> method getInitialContext(Hashtable environment) of class
> org.apache.openejb.client.JNDIContext to deal with a list of URLs
> (for key Context.PROVIDER_URL).

That's definitely one of the options I had in mind :)  If that kind of
approach would work for you, we could plum that in and additionally
add a way for you to specify the ConnectionFactoryStrategy via an
additional InitialContext param or similar.

If that works for you, can you add a JIRA for it?

Thanks for the request!

-David