tomee-users mailing list archives

From "Paolo Spadafora" <p.spadaf...@gmail.com>
Subject R: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:57:44 GMT
Hi David,
With eclipse WTP you can debug a web application without restart tomcat
(except a few cases, like changes on a struts config).
It runs an instance of tomcat using a temp folder to deploy webapp
(exploded) and some custom xml configuration (adds a few special tags inside
server.xml and web.xml).
I think what we need is something like the JBoss plugin not WTP.
The JBoss plugin does something very simple, keeps in synch your webapps and
ejbs by copying the compiled classes (and project files) under the
deployment folder, like mywebapp.war or myejb.jar, but these are folders,
not files.
Basically the tomcat-openejb plugin should do a few simple things:
- start its own customized instance of tomcat with a pre-deployed
application: openejb.war
- keep a list of deployed application (eg: a Web Application "webapp" and an
EJB "ejb")
- intercept changes to deployed webapp files or class compilation and synch
with tomcat copy
- intercept changes to deployed ejb and synch with the filesystem/openejb,
like runtime class loading/replacement
- undeploy and clean (temp files, etc)

For instance, for point 1, the plug-in should dynamically crate a temp
folder where to run openejb-tomcat, set openejb home for you, set bootstrap
jars, etc. usually they do in the plug-in folder:
eclipse/plugins/openejb.apache.org/tmp0/.
There is more, but I think is enough to give you an idea.

Paolo