tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:20:18 GMT
On Feb 13, 2009, at 3:43 AM, Paolo Spadafora wrote:

> Hi,
> To answer you question: yes.
> It's because of openejb+tomcat, usually I can change a line of code
> and see
> the new change without restart tomcat or reload the webapp.
> It does not reload the webapp, just the single class, but it depends,
> sometimes it's necessary to do a restart or reload the webapp, the
> plugin
> somehow is able to understand that (you see "restart" in the tomcat
> status).
> As I said in another email, where I explain a bit about WTP plugin,
> it's
> necessary to have a plugin that takes care of a few tasks (like set
> openejb_home dynamically, set bootstrap jars and so on).
> Probably is not so difficult to extend the current wtp tomcat plugin
> handle openejb.

That's interesting.  We do have an WTP-based Eclipse plugin in
development for OpenEJB, but I think it might be OpenEJB-standalone
only at this point.  Jonathan, would know better -- he wrote it :)

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:57 AM, Paolo Spadafora wrote:
> With eclipse WTP you can debug a web application without restart
> tomcat
> (except a few cases, like changes on a struts config).
> It runs an instance of tomcat using a temp folder to deploy webapp
> (exploded) and some custom xml configuration (adds a few special
> tags inside
> server.xml and web.xml).
> I think what we need is something like the JBoss plugin not WTP.
> The JBoss plugin does something very simple, keeps in synch your
> webapps and
> ejbs by copying the compiled classes (and project files) under the
> deployment folder, like mywebapp.war or myejb.jar, but these are
> folders,
> not files.
> Basically the tomcat-openejb plugin should do a few simple things:
> - start its own customized instance of tomcat with a pre-deployed
> application: openejb.war
> - keep a list of deployed application (eg: a Web Application
> "webapp" and an
> EJB "ejb")
> - intercept changes to deployed webapp files or class compilation
> and synch
> with tomcat copy
> - intercept changes to deployed ejb and synch with the filesystem/
> openejb,
> like runtime class loading/replacement
> - undeploy and clean (temp files, etc)
>
> For instance, for point 1, the plug-in should dynamically crate a temp
> folder where to run openejb-tomcat, set openejb home for you, set
> bootstrap
> jars, etc. usually they do in the plug-in folder:
> eclipse/plugins/openejb.apache.org/tmp0/.
> There is more, but I think is enough to give you an idea.

Jonathan might have a better idea what it might take to do some of
these things.  And while we're wrangling up people, are you at all
interested in working on it?  I bet you're already designing it in
your head :)

-David