tomee-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gallimore <jonathan.gallim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:12:57 GMT
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com>wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2009, at 3:43 AM, Paolo Spadafora wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>> To answer you question: yes.
>> It's because of openejb+tomcat, usually I can change a line of code and
>> see
>> the new change without restart tomcat or reload the webapp.
>> It does not reload the webapp, just the single class, but it depends,
>> sometimes it's necessary to do a restart or reload the webapp, the plugin
>> somehow is able to understand that (you see "restart" in the tomcat
>> status).
>> As I said in another email, where I explain a bit about WTP plugin, it's
>> necessary to have a plugin that takes care of a few tasks (like set
>> openejb_home dynamically, set bootstrap jars and so on).
>> Probably is not so difficult to extend the current wtp tomcat plugin to
>> handle openejb.
>>

> That's interesting.  We do have an WTP-based Eclipse plugin in development
> for OpenEJB, but I think it might be OpenEJB-standalone only at this point.
>  Jonathan, would know better -- he wrote it :)

That's absolutely right - the WTP plugin is only for the standalone OpenEJB
server. There is already a WTP plugin for Tomcat which comes with the
Eclipse JST/WST tools.

I don't have any ideas of my own as to why Eclipse isn't hotswapping your
code, although I did wonder whether it was just a class loading issue or
something like that (but that is just a complete guess).

> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:57 AM, Paolo Spadafora wrote:
>
>> With eclipse WTP you can debug a web application without restart tomcat
>> (except a few cases, like changes on a struts config).
>> It runs an instance of tomcat using a temp folder to deploy webapp
>> (exploded) and some custom xml configuration (adds a few special tags
>> inside
>> server.xml and web.xml).
>> I think what we need is something like the JBoss plugin not WTP.
>> The JBoss plugin does something very simple, keeps in synch your webapps
>> and
>> ejbs by copying the compiled classes (and project files) under the
>> deployment folder, like mywebapp.war or myejb.jar, but these are folders,
>> not files.
>> Basically the tomcat-openejb plugin should do a few simple things:
>> - start its own customized instance of tomcat with a pre-deployed
>> application: openejb.war
>> - keep a list of deployed application (eg: a Web Application "webapp" and
>> an
>> EJB "ejb")
>> - intercept changes to deployed webapp files or class compilation and
>> synch
>> with tomcat copy
>> - intercept changes to deployed ejb and synch with the filesystem/openejb,
>> like runtime class loading/replacement
>> - undeploy and clean (temp files, etc)
>>
>> For instance, for point 1, the plug-in should dynamically crate a temp
>> folder where to run openejb-tomcat, set openejb home for you, set
>> bootstrap
>> jars, etc. usually they do in the plug-in folder:
>> eclipse/plugins/openejb.apache.org/tmp0/.
>> There is more, but I think is enough to give you an idea.
>>

> Jonathan might have a better idea what it might take to do some of these
> things.  And while we're wrangling up people, are you at all interested in
> working on it?  I bet you're already designing it in your head :)

This all sounds very interesting - I think a WTP server for Tomcat+OpenEJB
would be be very useful. The current plugin uses the DeployerBusiness EJB in
the standalone server, and it looks like this is available in Tomcat,
perhaps we can use functionality we already have in
org.apache.openejb.eclipse.server.ServerDeployer [
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/sandbox/openejb-eclipse-plugin/plugins/org.apache.openejb.server/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/eclipse/server/ServerDeployer.java]
to keep everything in sync.

If you'd like to work on this, please do join in. I'll help you in any way I
can.

Jon