tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Fwd: Thank you for not supporting me in any way
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:29:37 GMT
Alberto,

Lo siento por todo.  The quality and speed of responsiveness on the
users list is something that has been a strength in the project, but
the user base has grown considerably since our 3.1 release and it is
leading to slower response times.  To survive this growth we are going
to need some of these new users to turn into developers and committers
and contributors.

Apache projects are true community run projects for the good and bad.
The good is that the doors to the project are truly open, not
restricted to people of any specific company, and anyone can come in
and contribute.  This includes you and any other members of the
community.  OpenEJB has no owner other than Apache whose only concern
is ensuring that the users of the software have the access they need
to support themselves, add the features they need, can benefit in
others doing the same and ultimately to legally protect that vision
and those that share in it.  Apache is not an organization like JBoss
or Glassfish where the code is owned by a for-profit company who
retains the right to make all decisions, has a staff of salaried
developers and a dedicated support team.

What we do have is a small community of individuals who believe in the
project, view themselves not as owners but as custodians, and want
nothing more than to see the project thrive and to share it with
others who feel the same.  As one of the more core people on the
project, I feel a heightened responsibility for the project's success,
but ultimately it is everyone's responsibility as it should be.

I truly hope you that you re-evaluate OpenEJB based on it's ability or
potential to serve your needs and to view the community of people
around it not as people who are trying to sell you something or owe
you anything, but as peers where we are all responsible for helping
each other as the equal owners of the project.

As a new, or potentially new, member of the community you're going to
be only on the receiving side initially, but I will do everything I
can as I'm sure others will, to reach a hand down and pull you in
should you decide you want to be a part of this small but growing
community.

We are truly in this together.

Con mucho respeto y sinceridad,

David