tomee-users mailing list archives

From Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com>
Subject @Webservice and @Remote: Ken Saks response
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:14:28 GMT
I thought this would be of interest to the list.

Best,
Laird

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kenneth Saks <Kenneth.Saks@sun.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: JSR 318 Comments

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Laird Nelson wrote:

Hello, Ken and others.

There's a bit of a thread going on at the OpenEJB mailing lists concerning
whether or not it is--or should be--legal to use a single business interface
as both a @Remote interface and a @WebService SEI.  Apparently the
specification does not directly address this issue.  Do you folks have a
clarifying statement you'd be willing to share?  Ideally one that would be
retroactive to EJB 3.0?  ;-)

Personally what I want to do (portably, reliably) is this (typed off the
cuff):

@Remote
@WebService(targetNamespace="...")
public interface Calculator {
  public int add(final int one, final int two);
}

@Stateless
@WebService(endpointInterface="x.y.Calculator", targetNamespace="...")
public class CalculatorBean implements Calculator {
  @Override
  public final int add(final int one, final int two) {
    return one + two;
  }
}

At the moment, if I recall correctly, Glassfish will allow this, I think,
and OpenEJB will not.  I haven't tried JBoss, but, of course, the whole
point is I'm not sure *who's* correct.  I would really, really like it if
this construct were deemed legal and acceptable.

Hi Laird,

There's nothing in the spec that prohibits this combination of client views
but it's not a common usage so it's possible there is some difference in
behavior among vendors.   We'll look to clarify the requirements within EJB
3.1.   Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,

 --ken