tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Web services deployment example?
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 23:30:17 GMT

On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Laird Nelson wrote:

> Why would adding the @WebService annotation to the interface be a
> problem?
> If I'm out of OpenEJB land and into specification oddity land, do
> tell, but

You are indeed in specification oddity land.  This has come up here
four times now in as little as three weeks.  I brought this up on the
EJB 3.1 EG and it's still in discussion.

The long and short of it is the spec is strongly against using a
business interface as both local and remote due to the very different
semantics -- pass by value vs. pass by reference -- the thinking is
that it would confuse users and do more harm than good; I think it'd
be useful personally.  We had assumed that the same logic would apply
to JAX-WS interfaces and remote interfaces as they also have very
different pass by value semantics -- jaxb marshaling vs. java
serialization -- and there's no guarantee jaxb objects are
serializable and vice versa.

I'd really like to see a statement about this in the spec as it
appears to be non-portable currently.  Either way, this is something
we can support, it's just not there now.

-David