tomee-users mailing list archives

From "Brown, Deryck" <deryck.br...@ziebel.biz>
Subject RE: OpenEJB and OSGi
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 09:24:07 GMT
Hi,

In fact the example code that Jonathan provided the links for does exactly this. I know, I
wrote it!

The setup I use in my own application has OpenEJB in one plug-in running as an OSGi service
listener that watches for services that belong to the OpenEjbApplication class to be deployed.
It then invokes the OpenEJB deployment code to start the application running. Your application
plugin must include a plug-in activator that registers a new OpenEjbApplication service. When
the plug-in is deactivated, the service is automatically stopped by the platform, and the
OpenEJB server undeploys the application.

The plugins at the moment are running on the Eclipse 3.4.2 RCP platform. This may cause some
problems with running on (just) Equinox as the current code may be using some non-OSGi APIs
(to load properties from files and allow for variable expansion within property values).

I have used this to deploy an application that contains stateless session beans and entity
beans that use an Apache Derby database and Hibernate for the persistence. (I've since moved
Hibernate into its own plugin so I can share the Hibernate instance between OpenEJB and EMF/Teneo.)

See the original description of this code at:

http://www.nabble.com/Dynamically-deploying-to-an-embedded-OpenEJB-server-within-an-Eclipse-RCP-application-tt21667308.html#a21827389

Regards,
Deryck

--