tomee-users mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Database configuration on web application startup
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 21:45:45 GMT
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com> wrote:

> Then you could simply leave the <jta-data-source> <non-jta-data-source>
> blank and configure a datasource for each application in your openejb.xml
> file.

Interesting. I thought that leaving these elements blank would violate
the spec (I thought they're required) but I've just checked in the
spec and it turned out I was mistaken:

6.2.1.5 jta-data-source, non-jta-data-source
In Java EE environments, the jta-data-source and non-jta-data-source
elements are used
to specify the global JNDI name of the JTA and/or non-JTA data source
to be used by the persistence
provider. If neither is specified, the deployer must specify a JTA
data source at deployment or a JTA
data source must be provided by the container, and a JTA
EntityManagerFactory will be created to correspond
to it.
These elements name the data source in the local environment; the
format of these names and the ability
to specify the names are product specific.

Really interesting. I'd rather avoid introducing any
container-specific solutions unless they're really necessary. I think
the closer we are to other ejb containers (likely application servers
themselves) the better so people won't run into any issues during
their production deployments. How is it handled by other app servers?
GlassFish has a default datasource notion. What about JBAS or JOnAS or
WLS?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski