tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Database configuration on web application startup
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 23:16:54 GMT

On May 22, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Really interesting.

Interesting indeed.  Like global ejb names, but worse.

> I'd rather avoid introducing any
> container-specific solutions unless they're really necessary. I think
> the closer we are to other ejb containers (likely application servers
> themselves) the better so people won't run into any issues during
> their production deployments. How is it handled by other app servers?
> GlassFish has a default datasource notion. What about JBAS or JOnAS or
> WLS?

Right, as you point out the spec says "the format of these names and
the ability to specify the names are product specific" which makes it
unavoidably container specific.  As far as I can see everyone has
taken their own approach (Geronimo uses the AbstractName of the db
pool gbean, JBoss uses the Jboss-specific jndi name of the datasource,
etc. etc).  Not sure what we can do about that other than do our best
to support the situations people bring to us.

-David