tomee-users mailing list archives

From Allan Lykke Christensen <al...@i2m.dk>
Subject Re: Unit testing code containing DirContext resource injection
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 07:41:32 GMT
Thanks for the tips David. It has taken me ages getting back to the
code where I was using OpenEJB for testing, hence the late response.

In terms of LDAP, I figured that there was no need to inject it via
JNDI. DirContext is already connection pooled by default and adding it
to the JNDI registry wouldn't really serve any purpose.

However, the RAR technique will come in handy as I'm trying to use the
JackRabbit Content Repository Service. I've never had to work with RAR
before, so I'll have to get my head around how it works before
bothering you more.

I still got an issue relating to what I was doing initially with
LDAP.   I've got some objects that are added to the JNDI registry at
run-time. Hence,  I don't know their JNDI names at compile-time. I've
got the following code in one of my EJBs to look up the objects:

public ContentService getRepository(String jndiName) throws
NamingException {
         Context ctx = new InitialContext();
         ContentService cs = (ContentService) ctx.lookup(jndiName);
         return cs;
}

In my unit test I  bind some "ContentService" objects to the
InitialContext

@Test
public void testGetRepository() {
     Properties p = new Properties();
     p.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
     InitialContext initialContext = new InitialContext(p);
     initialContext.bind("cs/MyObject", new ContentService("Something
something"));

     ContentFacadeLocal bean = (ContentFacadeLocal)
getInitialContext().lookup(BEAN_INTERFACE);
     try {
         ContentService cs = bean.getRepository("cs/MyObject");
         assertNotNull(cs);
     } catch (NamingException ex) {
         fail(ex.getMessage());
     }
}

When I run the test a NamingException is thrown with the message
"javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in
environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an
application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial"

While debugging the test I realised that the InitialContext created in
the bean didn't have the Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY injected.
Isn't this suppose to happen transparently?

Thanks again for your help! Woking on a series of blog entries focused
on unit testing where OpenEJB is the cornerstone.

All the best,
  Allan