tomee-users mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: OpenEJB Startup Performance
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:30:26 GMT
Hey,

I'm no EJB master either, but I can answer your questions with what I do know.

1. Perfectly fine. If you run it in something like Geronimo, it's
basically just embedded in Geronimo. Your web server is nothing more
than a Java Application, and OpenEJB has 2 modes, Standalone and
Embedded (I think there is another one I can't recall). So you're just
initializing the OpenEJB application inside your VM, and have the same
stability/functionality provided in any other mode. In fact, I would
recommend doing this with OpenEJB any day.

2. How many EJBs do you have for it to take this long? If you have a
huge classpath you can try trimming down the search to only the
desired JARs. See:
http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/application-discovery-via-the-classpath.html.
Alternatively you can try and specify static bean configurations in
ejb-jar.xml. They would be something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<ejb-jar xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee" version="3.0"
         http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/ejb-jar_3_0.xsd">
   <enterprise-beans>
      <session>
         <ejb-name>TestBean</ejb-name>
         <local>net.kunye.test.TestLocal</local>
         <remote>net.kunye.test.TestRemote</remote>
      </session>
      <session>
         <ejb-name>PersonnelBean</ejb-name>
         <local>net.kunye.platform.personnel.PersonnelLocal</local>
         <remote>net.kunye.platform.personnel.PersonnelRemote</remote>
      </session>
   </enterprise-beans>
</ejb-jar>

When you do this all the beans that are listed will be loaded from XML
(no annotation interpretation afaik) and the rest of the beans will be
loaded the normal way.

What you can do is perhaps hook in a compile-time task to generate
this list for you. If you already have such a file with other
configurations, you can perhaps make a template and generate the
ejb-jar.xml everytime you compile.

I'm not sure how much this will help. I've never really had to deal
with this problem. The most EJBs I've loaded was around 50 I think,
and it went quick. Some of the other guys might be able to help with
this.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Vikrant Yagnick
<Vikrant.Yagnick@mastek.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are creating a  "offline" version of an online application using Oracle Lite, i.e.
basically our J2EE application will work in a stand-alone mode on a laptop with the embedded
Oracle Lite database.

> Since, Oracle Lite comes in-built with it's own web-serve (WebToGo) we decided to embed
openEJB as our EJB container intra-vm so that we could deploy our EAR as is. It works like
a charm!!!

> I had a couple of questions(Sorry, we are new with openejb):
>

> 1)      Is it correct to use openejb in such a way, since it will be used in production
environments. (Any tips on tuning could help).

> 2)      OpenEJB builds up the application assembly everytime we start the webtogo
server(it is a disguised Oracle 10.1.3 Standalone OC4J Server) on the client.  This does
take 2-3 minutes due to the number of EJB's we have. Is there a way for OpenEJB to persist
this application assembly so that when it startups a second time, it does not build the entire
assembly again. This way there will be no delay if the server has to be re-started.

> Cheers,
> Vikrant Yagnick
> Software Designer
> MajescoMastek Ltd | Mastek Millennium Center,Millennium Business Park, Mahape, Navi  Mumbai
400-710   |
> (T) 91 22 66952222 Extn - 5230 | Mobile: +919833490598 | www.mastek.com
>
> MASTEK LTD.
> Mastek is in NASSCOM's 'India Top 20' Software Service Exporters List.
> In the US, we're called MAJESCOMASTEK
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not that of Mastek
Limited, unless specifically indicated to that effect. Mastek Limited does not accept any
responsibility or liability for it. This e-mail and attachments (if any) transmitted with
it are confidential and/or privileged and solely for the use of the intended person or entity
to which it is addressed. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence
of computer viruses. It is the responsibility of the recipient to run the virus check on e-mails
and attachments before opening them. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly delete
this e-mail from desktop and server.

--
Quintin Beukes