tomee-users mailing list archives

From uglything <juanma.cabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chaining InitialContexts ???
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 14:09:50 GMT

Hello David

David Blevins wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:07 AM, uglything wrote:
>

>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> After having worked on something else (conception mainly with loads
>> of UML2)
>> I'm coming back to the Plain Old Java Coding...
>>
>> I'm willing to give a try to the @Remote concepts which I don't know
>> at all.
>> Basically, I have an OpenEJB + Tomcat combo hosting my server
>> application
>> which itself contains many @Remote classes. On the other hand I want
>> the
>> same combo hosting my client application which rely on the remoted
>> classes
>> from the server.
>>
>> I would like to know if ther is some kind of configuration to "let the
>> server InitialContext merge into the client InitialContext" might
>> sound
>> ridiculous and/or naïve... Just let me know... but as far as I've
>> searched I
>> don't find anything of interrest...
>> What I've done so far - 80% of code monkey copy/paste your examples
>> - is
>> starting a OpenEJB + Tomcat server and starting a JUnit test case
>> with a
>> RemoteInitialContextFactory linked to the server through httpejbd (I
>> guess)
>> whithout problem. I can easily hit the remoted beans that works great.
>> But this initial context does not discover my client ejbs as the
>> LocalInitialContextFactory does.
>
> If by client ejbs you mean the @LocalClient injection support, then
> right, the RemoteInitialContextFactory doesn't yet support that.  We
> do plan to add support for an @RemoteClient which will work with the
> RemoteInitialContextFactory in a similar way.  There's a jira you can
> watch if you want to keep updated on progress there:
>
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1025
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=12425175&watch=true
>    (for notifications)

I'll take a closer look to @LocalClient which I overlooked. But as you point
out, this will not apply directly to my issue.

David Blevins wrote:

>> On the other hand, I didn't find anything to tell a
>> LocalInitialContextFactory to search also into a remote directory...
>> So far my only guess is to manually create a Locator-like object
>> wrapping a
>> RemoteICF and make manual lookups into it. Maybe it's just the way
>> to go...
>
> Right, at the moment a service locator is the best approach.
>
>    http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/service-locator.html
>
> We have some code in the openejb-client jar you can use or copy:
>

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/tags/openejb-3.1.1/server/openejb-client/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/client/ServiceLocator.java
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/tags/openejb-3.1.1/server/openejb-client/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/client/GenericServiceLocator.java

Great, these classes seem to fit my needs !
thanks.

David Blevins wrote:

>> Another question arises from that...
>> Is there any support to propagate a transaction started from the
>> client to
>> the server ? It seems that this is an optional requierement of the
>> EJB3
>> specs...
>
> There hasn't been any demand for it, but if you need it we can put it
> on the list.

Well I think it could be a valuable add to OpenEJB (not mentioning my own
interrest :thinking: ).
If I am allowed to speak my dreams, I can easily think of an embedded
OpenEJB client (with RemoteICF) as a seamless "gate" to the server it links
to... Providing that :
 - the RemoteICF is able to manage it's own EJBs (just like the LocalICF
does)
   and inject them with EJBs coming from the server
 - the server is able to participate in transactions managed by the client

Well this might be a terrible idea, let me know...

David Blevins wrote:

>> BTW : Is there any registering to do to post answers to other people's
>> questions ? I would like to pay back a little for your great support
>> by
>> helping some people here (up to my little knowledge though)
>
> That's fantastic.  We can always use more help on the user list and
> elsewhere.  We're a small team and every bit helps.  Feel free to jump
> in anytime.  You can post through nabble or by sending mail directly
> to the list.
>

> -David

Gr8, I'll try to prove myself useful :-D

Cheers and thanks for your support !

Juan Manuel