tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Chaining InitialContexts ???
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 20:34:37 GMT

On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:07 AM, uglything wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> After having worked on something else (conception mainly with loads
> of UML2)
> I'm coming back to the Plain Old Java Coding...
>
> I'm willing to give a try to the @Remote concepts which I don't know
> at all.
> Basically, I have an OpenEJB + Tomcat combo hosting my server
> application
> which itself contains many @Remote classes. On the other hand I want
> the
> same combo hosting my client application which rely on the remoted
> classes
> from the server.
>
> I would like to know if ther is some kind of configuration to "let the
> server InitialContext merge into the client InitialContext" might
> sound
> ridiculous and/or naïve... Just let me know... but as far as I've
> searched I
> don't find anything of interrest...
> What I've done so far - 80% of code monkey copy/paste your examples
> - is
> starting a OpenEJB + Tomcat server and starting a JUnit test case
> with a
> RemoteInitialContextFactory linked to the server through httpejbd (I
> guess)
> whithout problem. I can easily hit the remoted beans that works great.
> But this initial context does not discover my client ejbs as the
> LocalInitialContextFactory does.

If by client ejbs you mean the @LocalClient injection support, then
right, the RemoteInitialContextFactory doesn't yet support that.  We
do plan to add support for an @RemoteClient which will work with the
RemoteInitialContextFactory in a similar way.  There's a jira you can
watch if you want to keep updated on progress there:

   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1025
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=12425175&watch=true
   (for notifications)

> On the other hand, I didn't find anything to tell a
> LocalInitialContextFactory to search also into a remote directory...
> So far my only guess is to manually create a Locator-like object
> wrapping a
> RemoteICF and make manual lookups into it. Maybe it's just the way
> to go...

Right, at the moment a service locator is the best approach.

   http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/service-locator.html

We have some code in the openejb-client jar you can use or copy:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/tags/openejb-3.1.1/server/openejb-client/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/client/ServiceLocator.java
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/tags/openejb-3.1.1/server/openejb-client/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/client/GenericServiceLocator.java

> Another question arises from that...
> Is there any support to propagate a transaction started from the
> client to
> the server ? It seems that this is an optional requierement of the
> EJB3
> specs...

There hasn't been any demand for it, but if you need it we can put it
on the list.

> BTW : Is there any registering to do to post answers to other people's
> questions ? I would like to pay back a little for your great support
> by
> helping some people here (up to my little knowledge though)

That's fantastic.  We can always use more help on the user list and
elsewhere.  We're a small team and every bit helps.  Feel free to jump
in anytime.  You can post through nabble or by sending mail directly
to the list.

-David