tomee-users mailing list archives

From chrishumphrey <ch...@parallelsw.com>
Subject Re: Java Web Start
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:18:32 GMT

Thanks for the reply Jacek,

I have found more information about this issue since posting.  Basically, I
pulled the sourcecode down, and started looking through it.  The problem
lies in the method getFile(URL warFile), one of the first things that method
does is checks to make sure the URL points to a real file -- on the
filesystem.
            // we only support file based jar urls
            if (!pathname .startsWith("file:")) {
                return null;
            }

This causes the npe in the original line number I posted.

So, basically, the code is working as designed/expected.  I'm not sure what
all work would need to be done to support a JWS installer, but at least this
requirement would need to be changed.  I did comment that code out just to
see how much more work would be needed, and it turns out there are other
places where a real file on the local fileystem is required.

If there is an interest in changing this code, and relaxing this
requirement, I may be able to find some time to work on a new solution, but
if I'm the only one who needs this I don't know that I really want to spend
the time on it, I've moved over to a native Windows installer, and it seems
to be working so far, just have 30 days now to evaluate and get all of the
installs done.

Thanks again for the reply.

-chris