tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Quartz and OpenEJB
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:23:36 GMT

On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:22 AM, coder_joe wrote:

> The last days i started with EJB3 and i must say OpenEJB is a great
> software
> for learning the EJB technology, cause no fat application server is
> needed,
> nearly no configuration, i only have to start the server, deploy/
> undeploy
> EJBs and learn, wonderful. Thanks for that.

Thanks for that, too!  We appreciate the note.

> But now to my questions:
>
> Is it possible to use the quartz scheduler from an EJB?
> if yes, is there any howto?
> Does it work if OpenEJB runs in standalone mode, or is an
> application server
> needed ?

It is possible to use Quartz to fire events to an MDB via a standard
Java EE Connector.  That will work in any compliant EJB container.

We don't have a formal tutorial, but the question has come up and this
post gives quite a few details:

   http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-need-help-getting-quartz-ra.rar-file-to-deploy-p18783086.html

For EJB 3.1 there is a new @Schedule annotation which will be really
quite fantastic.  Our implementation will use Quartz under the
covers.  We have some work on this now, but nothing complete yet.  But
a deeper integration is planned.

Hope this helps!

-David